Complete Isolation
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A discussion, contribution, and creative forum for the development of the indie RPG Maker horror game, Complete Isolation

We have started the main development of Complete Isolation, which you can follow via live broadcasting at: https://www.youtube.com/user/AestheticGamer

You are not connected. Please login or register

Ideas to incorporate into the game :)

+3
keeper_of_the_triforce
AestheticGamer
miyoki
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:04 pm

miyoki

miyoki

Heii everybody Smile

I hope it's ok to post this here as a general idea to incorporate into the game (feel free to let me know or move this if it belongs somewhere else in the forum). I just came up with this based off a nightmare last night, but I think it could be a good addition to the game perhaps Very Happy

The idea is to basically be blind for a part of the game. Perhaps because of reliving the experience of one of the monsters (once human) who had their eyes taken out by the Plague doctor. Shocked

Basically the whole screen would be completely black and the only thing that is visible is the MC, since the player (or MC) would know what they look like if they were to go blind. Depending on what you investigate around you, you could trigger a scare and cause your death, either by knocking over a dangerous farm tool or perhaps running into a monster. pale Perhaps once something is investigated it could pop up on the screen, as by touching it you'd be able to find out what it is.

The most important part would be the sound effects in this area, since the player is blind. By panning the audio you could make it 3D and give players the feeling that things are going on around them, rather than in the game, and really create a horrific psychological experience.

Anyways this is just an idea that I thought could be cool Very Happy It would probably need to be further developed, but I think it could add another dimension to the horror created in the RPG game.

What do you think? pig

https://www.youtube.com/user/miyokibeauty

AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer
Admin

Early suggestions are definitely welcome, I need to fully explain the project again on these forums to let anyone who is curious about it know what to expect, but early to post, early it's in my mind.

Oh, this explains why you asked about 3D sound and if it was possible on stream last night~ Not a bad idea, there are some games that utilize this mechanic (the first that came to my head was the indie 'horror sound game', SONAR), but I can't think of any game that fully utilized this as a random mechanic for a segment of the game... Though there was another indie game, Mother's Inferno, which did feature your main character having to scoop out their eyeballs, but that just made the world colors negative and didn't have much to do with sound.

It definitely is possible, and is actually pretty simple to implement. You'd just have to overlay a black image and take care to design the sound and adjust its volume with event tiles. If it makes sense to implement, it could be used briefly to interesting effect. Thanks for the suggestion~

http://projectisolate.betaboard.net

miyoki

miyoki

Yes! I forgot to finish since we switched stream midway ^^ I haven't played any of these games so I don't know how it was featured in it, but i do know of a horror movie in which Audrey Hepburn plays a blind woman, I believe it was called Wait Until Dark, which for a brief period of time blacked out their screen so that the viewer feels how anguishing it is to be unable to see in a life or death situation.

I'm glad to hear it wouldn't take much effort to make Smile I don't know if any RPG Maker games have incorporated this so far, I could be wrong, but I think it would definitely incorporate a twist in the game mechanic Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/user/miyokibeauty

keeper_of_the_triforce

keeper_of_the_triforce

Has the idea of multiple endings been discussed yet?

AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer
Admin

keeper_of_the_triforce wrote:Has the idea of multiple endings been discussed yet?

Not yet, but if possible, tune into the stream going on YouTube in about 53 minutes. Going to talk about story, conceptual stuff, horror theories, media, and the campaign and such.

6Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Small Idea For The Game Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:03 am

Lunarbulb

Lunarbulb

Maybe when you 'die' from the plague doctor he drags your unconscious, but alive body to his laboratory/experiment room?

7Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:44 am

AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer
Admin

Lunarbulb wrote:Maybe when you 'die' from the plague doctor he drags your unconscious, but alive body to his laboratory/experiment room?

Death scenes have already been decided, so such a scene is definitely a possibility!

Lunarbulb

Lunarbulb

AestheticGamer wrote:
Lunarbulb wrote:Maybe when you 'die' from the plague doctor he drags your unconscious, but alive body to his laboratory/experiment room?

Death scenes have already been decided, so such a scene is definitely a possibility!

Glad you're gonna' actually add some interesting death scenes. Most horror games just have a bloody screen saying "You have died." We appreciate the effort you have put into and will put into this to be game. Smile

9Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Another Idea Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:29 am

Lunarbulb

Lunarbulb

Another idea I have thought up is maybe when you know you're in danger you start to hear her breathing speed up and hear the character's heart pumping furiously? It would add a sense of urgency for the player and make them act fairly franticly

10Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:07 pm

bagelbites101

bagelbites101

I saw the other day on livestream a list of games you will be looking to in order to research horror games. Can we look through the list and add some games or game ideas?

11Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:41 pm

AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer
Admin

Lunarbulb wrote:Another idea I have thought up is maybe when you know you're in danger you start to hear her breathing speed up and hear the character's heart pumping furiously? It would add a sense of urgency for the player and make them act fairly franticly

That likely won't be added. It's not impossible or anything, but it runs the risk of disallowing other RPG Maker sound effects from playing or over-riding them as how the sound works in RPG Maker projects.

bagelbites101 wrote:I saw the other day on livestream a list of games you will be looking to in order to research horror games. Can we look through the list and add some games or game ideas?

Definitely can, but I also know there aren't many horror games I'm not aware of. Originality is best, but it is also a good idea to observe what came before. The main thing we were looking at were RPG Maker horror games.

12Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:44 pm

JareTheBear

Um ok I don't know if I'm late on this and I have never helped make a game before so I'm kinda nervous asking this but um is it still too late to help make characters and if not please reply and I'm sry if I cut people off from other ideas but I just really wanted to know

13Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 am

AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer
Admin

JareTheBear wrote:Um ok I don't know if I'm late on this and I have never helped make a game before so I'm kinda nervous asking this but um is it still too late to help make characters and if not please reply and I'm sry if I cut people off from other ideas but I just really wanted to know

You're not too late, and besides all art contributions are welcome. Just draw one of the characters and your own personal take on them (all of their bios are on the Indiegogo page) and submit it either through YouTube PM, Forum PM, or Facebook PM.

I also think that once we have the designs done, I will keep an open slate for a digital artbook (for the $10 Indiegogo tier) that collects concept art, official art, art in the game, and then some 'fan art' used with permission and submitted for the booklet based on the finalized designs.

14Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:11 am

JareTheBear

Ok thanks Ryan expect to see a message from me soon regarding this subject k? Thanks for the info! I hope to talk more about the project with everyone including u!

15Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:02 am

bagelbites101

bagelbites101

Hey, will we be able to leave the first house location and come back inside? Or just run screaming from the house? 8p
Or will something happen to where you cannot leave the house and MUST continue forward?

16Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 am

AestheticGamer

AestheticGamer
Admin

bagelbites101 wrote:Hey, will we be able to leave the first house location and come back inside? Or just run screaming from the house? 8p
Or will something happen to where you cannot leave the house and MUST continue forward?

I'm assuming you mean The House (first main location), rather than Kiara's home if we reach the prologue goal.

And you can return back inside in a little space after you leave, it won't automatically lock you back out... But there is a cut-off point of no return. A big part of this was because of the game's segmented style and possible problems it could arise. The House is open exploration and there are many optional rooms and several different things you could be tackling at any time, but completing key things sometimes will 'rearrange' the friends position around the house to go onto their next event down their path. If players could return, it'd be kind of cool, but useless and runs the risk of causing glitches due to how the house area works, or confusing the player as the next area is the field, which is an area that the player could become a bit lost in.

It also is good to let players know there are points of no return early on, especially The Mines and Tower both do this for gameplay and story purposes.

17Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:56 pm

bagelbites101

bagelbites101

Aww, so no special ending if you just leave the House via whatever road you enter in?
And yeah, I figured after a certain point, it'd be impossible to turn back.

18Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Empty Re: Ideas to incorporate into the game :) Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:55 am

NurseUrsa

NurseUrsa

Ideas and First Post

Just stuff based off what I’ve watched/hear from your YouTube channel, I have just small ideas to put on the table…don’t mind if I get ahead of myself…!

Plague Doctor’s Presence
-When the plague doctor initially enters into an area with the protagonist, or vice versa, the protagonist should mention noticing a sickly sweet smell…this is a forewarning of the plague doctor’s presence nearby (if it isn’t obvious), even in a darker/dark area. There can be a few red herrings or misleading items in the room as well (ie flower vase, spill jar or odd preservative).
…though, I can definitely see this becoming a bit annoying if it happens everytime the plague doctor is present. Maybe just the first few times (with the red herrings), the rest of the time maybe the screen is bordered in pink?
^In addition to this idea…
Farm House’s Candied Herbs/Herb Candies
-In relation to my above idea, when the protagonist enters into the farm house’s kitchen after a first visit, they should take notice of a strong smell not formerly present. After inspecting a few cabinets, they should find a tin of fragrant herb/herbal candies opened up, with only a few left inside. One of the other character should (rather stupidly/impulsively) sample a candy, though to (surprisingly) demonstrate how safe they are, and perhaps mention a temporary health boost/benefit (to their stats). The protagonist then is given choices to take the tin, or to seal it up and stop up the smell (idk, with duct tape?). If they take the tin, they will not be able to detect the presence of the plague doctor later on, since they have the smell constantly with them. Also, following/chasing enemies would appear more frequently, at least till all the candy is used up (5 pieces, maybe?). The candies could (mostly) give a health boost (like pills from L4D) or other temp stat boosts, but leave at least one lasting side effect in the end that lasts most of the game. If they leave and seal up the tin, they can continue to be able to sniff out the plague doctor as normal, side effect free.

Leeches?
-Just a random thing…when I think plague doctor, I think medieval medicine…and when I think medieval medicine, I think blood letting via leeches. Just a thought, maybe incorporate it into the story somehow?

Cat and Bird Corpses?
-Just a thought, probably shouldn't be taken seriously.
-Back in the day, good old plague doctors wore bird masks in order to repel the plague, since they thought birds were the carriers.
^Seriously, how does that work? Why no cat masks? Cats were hunted more often then birds, if birds were hunted at all...
Maybe when the plague doctor leaves/gives up on a event related chase, he leaves behind a corpse of a cat or a bird? Maybe an ill effect can be gained or medicine be found via rumaging through a randomly found corpse?
-I don't have a fetish, I swear.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]